Wednesday, July 23, 2008

In God's Presence

Daily DevotionsJuly 23

STILL WITH YOU
When I awake, I am still with You.Psalm 139:18

"This Scripture brings to mind an image of someone who talked with God the night before, lay down and slept, then awakened and talked with God again. Here is a person who remained in God's presence throughout the night and into the morning hours. In the Song of Solomon, God's blueprint for courtship and marriage, the Bride of the King gives us a word picture that captures the essence of this verse, the idea that we are to be with God all of the time. As she seeks ways to picture her love for her husband-to-be, she talks about an Old Testament custom. Women in that day would often carry a sachet of perfume around their neck. That way, during the day, and even the first thing when they awoke, they'd smell the beautiful fragrance they carried next to their heart. 'My beloved is to me a pouch of myrrh,' she says. And her thoughts of him are like a fragrance that she carries night and day. What a picture of how we are to treasure and carry God's thoughts, night and day! Lord, this day I will be still with and before You. Bless me, I pray."

© Copyright 2005 Smalley Relationship Center
I sure needed that reminder today!

No comments:

June 2008 Road Trip