Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Mentor

Not really having a mother I can really talk to, confide in, or go to for advice has left a huge void in my life. My relationship with my mom is a formality-she is my mother; I respect that, and I honor her, but that is not a relationship.

I didn't have a mom to teach me the things daughters learn from their moms. I remember when I was pregnant with Katherine, someone said to me that maybe God knew I hadn't been ready for a girl before, and I hadn't been. Up until Daniel was born, I didn't wear dresses at all. When I graduated high school, I had one dress, the one I bought for graduation! I didn't know how to wear make up, dress up, carry myself, or conduct myself like a woman should. Every detail about being a woman, I learned from other women, not my mom.

In God's grace, He always provides. Ms. Mary Ann has been one of those women God brought into my life to teach me. Ms. Mary Ann has been my Spiritual mom and mentor for years. She is the one I go to when I need help and counsel. When I want to run away-I run to her. I know she will be honest and true. She will encourage me in the faith, share her own heart and experiences with me, and point me back in the right direction. She has been there as my children were growing, and now she teaches me how to live with the adults my children have grown to be.

Today, we went on Sunday School visitation together and after spent a few hours just talking. I walked away with a little more confidence, a little more wisdom, and a little more resolve to live in the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

June 2008 Road Trip