Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Man of Honor

Sunday our Pastor preached on the little boy with the bread and fishes that fed the mulitude. One of the points he made was how God allows trials in our lives to test us, not so God knows what we are made of because He already knows, but so we know our limits. The trials and circumstances reveal who we are. He also reminded us that the further we are along in our Spiritual journey, the bigger the trial. It was such an encouragement to us to be faithful and keep serving no matter what obstacles present themselves. Quitting is easy, being faithful is not.

Of course right after the lesson, we got an opportunity to test both our time priority and financial priorities. Even with the demands on our family right now, we know there are more important things in life. God is so good! I love my husband's giving heart. I love that no matter how hard it is or how inconvenient to him, he keeps giving. He gives his last dollar if there is a need. Time and time again he has emptied his pockets to give what he had to give. God has so blessed him with wisdom!

Today, Chris had a need. He had to go home to be with his family unexpectedly this past weekend which was a stretch for him. (We so remember those early military days and all the times we had to be somewhere immediately!) We weren't able to help him with the trip, but wanted to help him make it the rest of the week. In that process, he had trouble with his car. Steve stepped right in and took care of it. I am again awed by his generosity. Through the years, Steve has come to the assistance of our children, rescuing them when they were stranded broke down somewhere, helping them through some difficulty they hadn't faced before, buying tires, paying rent; whatever situation they found themselves in-he did what he could for them. They haven't known what the cost has been for him to be there for them, but God knows and so do I. He tells me that more than anything he wanted his kids to know that he would be there when they called and he always has been. I pray my boys will be men like he is, that they will be dads like him, and that Chris will grow into that man too. If someday Chris joins our family, I hope the example Steve sets for him will teach him to be a man of honor for Christ's sake and for the sake of Katherine and their children. Thank you Lord for the man Steve is and the gift he is to me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tina,

My father, I love him, was never a good example for me, in anything. But when Amanda and I got married, God put the right person in place, to teach me "all things". I am today, the man most people know because of my Father-in-laws influence in my life. If Chris is the man Kat will marry, rest assured that God will use Steve in a major way to influence this young mans life. I know from experience. BTW, I have never told you what an incredible honor it has been to work with you and know your wonderful family.

June 2008 Road Trip