This flood repair is certainly going to be a learning experience! We got our first initial payment from the insurance company. That is such a blessing, because now we can get started. I hope we are ready to get started. I spent a bit of time this morning researching how to treat the studs for mold when we take out the sheetrock. We are still trying to determine the best way to handle the reconstruction process. We have learned that we need a homeowners permit-thanx to my dad for clueing us in on that one. Steve is going today to the city to get the permit we need and ask a host of other questions! We also know that to protect the house from mold infestation, we have to pull the sheetrock and subfloors and let the room dry out. That means we are going to have open spaces for awhile. That scares me a bit. I like wildlife-outside, NOT inside! There isn't a whole lot we can do to prevent the house from flooding again, but we are trying to learn how to rebuild in such a way to prevent extensive damage in the future. Lots of details to chew on!
We are also learning how much everyone seems to live in their own worlds completely unaware of what is going on in other peoples' lives-we do that. My dad was telling me about what he went through when hurricane Hugo went through South Carolina-I had no idea. I have such a clearer picture of how it affects people when they endure these forces of nature. Next time someone experiences something like this, I will be able to empathize with them, and understand how to better minister to their needs. Everyone keeps asking, "What can we do to help? What do you need me to do?" I have had no idea what we need. I don't know how to answer. I know we need help. We need advice. We need people who have dealt with these problems to share what they know. We need people to show up and give moral support. We need people to call just to tell us they are thinking about us. We have needed to know we weren't alone and someone cared. Other than that God knows what we need, and we are trusting in His provision!


1 comment:
I am thinking about you and read your blog everytime you post. I just want you to know that you have been tagged LOL go here
http://amandasmissionsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/05/game-of-tag.html
Post a Comment