Monday, May 26, 2008

Tradition


Years ago I began writing in select Bibles of mine to my kids. I wrote to each one of them in a different Bible, and at their high school graduation I gave them that Bible. Daniel got my first Bible-the one Steve bought me right after I was saved. That Ryrie was what I cut my teeth on. I remember when I first got it, my very first Bible, I would sit around and just study it! Robert got the one Bro. Nunley gave me in 1994. Bro. Nunley taught us so much about grace and introduced us to the Cambridge Bible-My Bible of choice today. Katherine got my Rainbow. It has been my school Bible for years. She just graduated so was the last one for me to pass one on to. I started this tradition in 1997 and just recorded special moments, when I wanted to say something to them throughout the years. Right before graduation I asked special people to sign it. Well...back in September when Aaron was born, I was at church with Robert and Gabrielle. I noticed he was using that very Bible (although he has many.) I was so blessed.On to Katherine...she had lots of family here for her graduation and most of them had an opportunity to sign it. We then passed that one to Bro. Roger, her current pastor, for him to sign it. Right after that the flood hit, and he still had that Bible. Saturday evening, Katherine and I were studying for our Sunday School lessons. She was going to be teaching the adult ladies' class at Barron Rd. for youth Sunday. I glanced up at her, and it hit me that she had the rainbow. I asked her when she got it back, and she told me Bro. Roger gave it to her on Wed. She was studying from that Bible, and it is the one she used to teach her first Sunday School lesson. Daniel has never mentioned it, so I really don't know what he did with his, but I know it meant an awful lot to us to be able to start a legacy with him. We told our children from the time they were little that someday they would be accountable to God's Word. Our words are just words, but God's Word is life. I know His Word does NOT return void, it accomplishes what God purposes it to! Sometimes I am so confused about everything...and at other moments I am so awed. To see my children treasure something so priceless to me blesses my heart in a very real way. In those Bibles are my notes, prayers, verses that have meant something to me, notes from people who have loved me and shared their lives with me...and they have a part of me and my Christian walk to hold on to. Prayerfully, it will be something God also uses in their lives.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Your blogs always touch my life and inspire me. Thank you for being someone to look up to in my life.

June 2008 Road Trip