Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sweet Assurance

Sometimes the efforts of my life, trying to live my life in Christ in the midst of life situations and endless criticism, seems futile. There have been more moments than I would like to admit that failure seemed imminent, and I just wanted to throw my hands up and quit. One such "falling" down moment resulted in me going through my house and throwing away every Scripture posted above every door, putting away every Christian magnet on the frig, and refusing to go to church. That faith struggle was a rough one, but God challenged me with a simple phrase from my pastor, "A faith not tried is a faith that can't be trusted." It seems like every moment of my life the past four or five years has been a trying of my faith to see if it could indeed be tested. These moments have changed my perspective on what faith is.

Yesterday, Kat came walking in the house, put down a few groceries, and walked back out all the while talking on the phone. I walked through and heard her encouraging her friend in Christ, and then...praying over the phone with her friend. That touched my heart in such a remarkable way-she has heard me do that a thousand times. Her and I have prayed together over the phone. I don't know hardly anyone that stops and does that, yet it is so powerful...to just stop...pray with someone, over someone..not to say, "I will pray for you." Not saying...doing then, right at the time that person needs it!

She was talking to me a bit later about the situation-one she could relate to and understood-God was using her and her life struggles to encourage someone else to turn to Christ in their need! Awesome hardly describes the amazement I felt hearing her speak. God, at that moment, gave me sweet assurance that He is indeed working through me and teaching my daughter to live her life in the power of His Word!

No comments:

June 2008 Road Trip