I was amazed from the first time I met my husband's family. He grew up knowing his cousins, his aunts, all the extended family. He still tells stories of his childhood adventures. I remember when I first met any of his family. I was seventeen, a scraggly kid standing in front of Mommaw with soaking wet jeans because I had stayed out all night with my husband (not yet) at the beach. She didn't ask any questions, just gave me something to put on and washed my jeans. They loved me from the beginning.
His family was all about family. Not that his family was any more/less perfect than mine, because they have their fair share of misfits, skeletons in the closet and the such, but then....what family doesn't? We consist of people, people come with quirks...but a family is where you learn to love unconditionally, not for gain, not because people are who you think they should be, or say and do what is right to you, but just because that is where God planted you. This family I was born into and the one I married into is exactly where God wanted me to be. When I married my husband, I got his entire family; when he married me, he got mine. (hmm....who got the better deal????)
This week our family suffered a great loss. My father-in-law's sister passed away into eternity. We have shared our lives with her-she has impacted our life. We have witnessed her growth, and she took part in ours. I think back over all these precious moments we have shared as a family, and know that we are who we are because of every one of those moments. My children are the people they are because of the family they are part of. They can't take credit for molding themselves anymore than I can take credit for building my own life. I didn't do that-God did that, and He did that through our family.
Said I wasn't going to post to this site anymore, but I have had so many comments, so many people encouraging me that I just couldn't help myself. There is so much to share...so much to say...so many opportunities to love...just can't pass one up.
Yesterday was another one of those opportunities. We drove over to East Texas to visit with my in laws who we affectionately call "Ma" and "Pa." When that side of the family gets together, there is always music. Ma can pick and sing like nobody's business-Kat has her love for music. This time they encouraged Kat to join in, and we all did. It was precious remembering, singing, and yes, praising...Our family is hurting right now, but that pain has a lesser sting because we know where our loved one is today, and we can call up all those precious memories!


No comments:
Post a Comment