Friday, November 28, 2008

Moment of Gratitude




















Sometimes I just sit and think, I wonder...about stuff...Many times that leads to discouragement, other times I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

This is a moment of gratitude. When we got the news Aunt Betty had passed away, there was no question we would go and be with our family and honor her memory. We knew how hard it would be for my father-in-law to say goodbye. His sister had been the glue that held the rest of the family together. She kept up with addresses and phone numbers, as well as the latest news. She leaves such a huge void. She was his only sister.

The trip down was a special blessing because we traveled with my father-in-law. We don't usually get that kind of time, so the time was absolutely precious. We stayed in the same hotel right next door, so that too gave us time with him. Once there we ran around to visit family and check in on everyone. What would be a trip to Florida without seeing Uncle Jack? (By the way his name is NOT Jack-I had been telling my husband that for years, but he didn't believe me.)

We saw him the night before the funeral and then spent the afternoon with him after the funeral. He told us stories, instructed us on how to solve a rubic's cube (yes, and he is 82), and proudly demonstrated how the player piano (the one he restored) works. (I videotaped that!) That was an amazing moment. How many 82 year old men rebuild pianos???

The whole trip was about family. Because it was, we spent alot of time pondering what it means to be part of something so big. I thought back to when my stepfather died two years ago. My mother married him because she had three kids to take care of and he was willing. He turned out to be an abusive perverted man. He subjected us to every imaginable type of abuse-not one of us got out unscathed. When he came to the end of his life, it wasn't about that anymore, all I cared about was his salvation...it didn't matter what he had done, what mattered was if he knew Jesus Christ died for him and he could have an eternity in heaven. I knew he was lost, and I knew I wasn't going to get another chance. I knew I had to forgive him and love him with the kind of love God loves me. I cried out to God the entire trip down. God in His mercy let me be the one to lead my stepfather to Christ. He died three days later. All of these thoughts led me to my brother.

My brother was rather upset with my mother some years ago. He pulled away from her, not giving her his address or phone number. His kids thought their grandmother was dead. It had been something like 5 years or so since my mom had even spoken to him, and then my stepfather lay on his deathbed. We contacted my brother, and he came. He came. He had enough character to lay everything aside and be there for my mom and for us. He stood right beside his siblings in the one moment we needed him to be there.

My stepsister had not really known her dad, and hadn't met any of us. Her mother took her from him when she was just a child. She didn't have any contact with him until she was a senior in high school. She is grown now, married, and has two kids. She came too. She got to see her dad the last days of his life, meet the rest of the family, and share in our moment of grief. She missed out having a dad her entire life, but in the end, she came. There is something about that. She came. He came. I applaud their character.

I saw my stepsister when we were back home. I always make it a point to try to connect with her when I am down. I have only known her for two years, but she is family, she is my sister, and I know her because she came. Our trip was hurried, but we were so blessed to spend a moment with all those that came. I am so full of gratitude this Thanksgiving season. There is no reason to dwell on what I don't have when what I do have is so great!

No comments:

June 2008 Road Trip