"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
The call in topic on the radio yesterday was growing old. Someone was having a "40" birthday. That one has already come and gone here...it really wasn't that big of a deal..really...in Bible days, 40 was the age that middle age began. You were considered a youth until the age of 40. 40-60 is the middle ages, and then 60 is a transition into older "wiser" adulthood. I liked being a youth until age 40, but really, having a childlike faith, a childlike innocence, a childlike outlook on life is something to aspire to at any age. Innocence is gone way too early in the days we live in. Our ability to see the beauty and wonder of life is stolen away long before we reach the end of our youth. Being able to laugh, to play, to see wonder and beauty in God's creation, to love through His eyes and in His power are certainly factors in maintaining a youthful heart (at least in my opinion). On the other side of the coin is the idea of growing old gracefully. One of the callers on the radio was discussing wrinkles, other affects of aging, and the privilege it is to grow old-Not everyone gets that opportunity. Many die before they experience the affects of aging. This caller's brother died in his 30's, in the days of his youth.
It has been a busy week this week-we are in our mission conference. Kat had an appointment in Arkansas, and I have to take my Praxis tomorrow morning. In the middle of all that, God has burdened my heart for several people. I don't always listen when God speaks, but this time, my heart was so heavy, not to respond would have been way too much to carry. I made some calls, made some visits, prayed, and set aside my life for others. Doing that has given me such a boost. I have felt so alive this week! My devotions were on the power and action of grace. Real grace, an understanding of what God has done and given to us is lived out in service to others. I don't serve naturally; it is a work of grace; it is an answer to prayer. I have asked God to make me a see-through-servant so that all anyone sees is Jesus, but sometimes I get jealous when I don't get the recognition I think I deserve. Too much of the time, "I" get in the way, but this week, I have stepped back and let God have His way! It has been such a powerful week-to see God and experience Him working in peoples' lives. No words describe it except AWESOME!
Last night the physical demands did catch up to me. The arthritis kicked in and started acting up; I couldn't use my right arm. My wrist started swelling, my fingers were stuck, it ached all the way up to my elbow, and I had absolutely no strength in my hand. It still hurt this morning when I got up. I was quickly reminded that the body doesn't live forever-it has limitations-it is aging and wearing out. I am also reminded that life is good, but eternal life is better! Being active, sharing my life, playing a little with my friends and family does indeed make me feel more like a youth and less "middle aged." Who knows how much more time any of us have, but I do know God is busy all around me, and it is sure a privilege to join Him in the work He is doing!


No comments:
Post a Comment