This round was actually my third trip, but...this time it was my turn to teach. One of the amazing things about being there is how open the ladies are, no pretense at all. They just talk, hug, smile, joke around, as if we have been friends our entire lives! The 22 year old is still there. I have learned her name now. She comes to Bible study. We met another one this time who was only 18. She was absolutely hysterical the entire time....to be 18...and in prison...very scared!
I wrestled over what to teach. What did these ladies need to hear....what was God already doing in their lives...would I stumble...would I say something totally irrelevant to them...not to mention...I usually teach 4th grade girls. I thought...we should all be kids once in awhile-with the innocence that comes from that so I included a crossword type puzzle on the back of my lesson outline. They absolutely loved it. I also asked Ms. Shirley about using my left over verse cards and activity sheets from Sunday School. I brought the verse cards which went very fast! So good to know those are going to good use! Next time I am going to bring the activity papers and see how they respond to those.
I began working on a lesson about David for Sunday School....and as it turns out...that was the Sunday I was out with Katherine. The lesson itself got my attention so I kept working on it. It was the one God used on this prison visit. It was such an amazing thing that words just can't capture it! I was soooo nervous...but had my outline typed with the verses I would be using (Ms. Shirley says she types up the lesson so the ladies had them for later to look over, study, share, and the Bibles we give out are tiny tiny print-very hard to read and follow in a Bible study).
The study consisted of David being chosen as the second king of Israel, Saul being rejected, and the question why reject Saul over David? What made David a man after God's own heart? We answered that question with a definition of rebellion/disobedience, a look at David's repentance and Saul's excuses, and a peek at David's heart through his own words in the psalms. The challenge to us all was could God call "me" a woman after God's own heart? Could David's words be mine? I was challenged by it, and so were our ladies. Several cried and gave testimony. Ms. Shirley stepped right up and asked about their salvation. Many profess to be saved, but one came this time who hadn't come before. Ms. Shirley had been inviting her for months. She told us this was the first time she had come to a service that she wanted to. She was very open, knows she isn't saved, but wasn't ready to respond to that. Door is open-seed is planted-and amazingly, many of the ladies have been witnessing to her! Both pods (we do the lesson twice-also a first for me) ended in tears, testimony, and open forum. It was just awesome! I don't know what God has planned for any of them, but I am so thankful to be a small part of it! Will teach again in a few weeks, don't know what I am doing, but already Abraham is on my mind and the covenant in Genesis 15! How in need we are of grace!


No comments:
Post a Comment