Friday, February 27, 2009

Love, Love, Love

I knew this guy one time that wrote an essay on "What is love." He hit pretty close, but really, Love defies human comprehension....at least the kind of love that makes a difference. I often look at myself and wonder if I am even close. God's love for me is an agape love, a love that is completely independent of me, completely unconditional. I find in most of my relationships, love is anything but unconditional. Not only do I expect something from other people, their demands on me are at times stifling.

I was reading in this little booklet this morning by Gary Smalley, I Promise. It is a covenant book for married couples or those about to be married. My hubbie ordered it not too long ago. He has already read through it, and I am working on it (along with the other dozen or so books I am reading at this moment). One idea really caught my idea today. This idea of "focus."

We can choose what we focus on in other people. We are all composed of good and bad qualities. For every positive, there is a negative. All we have to do is look. (I am paraphrasing Dr. Smalley). In a relationship, we choose what to focus on. I have certainly been on both sides of that issue. There have been lots of times in my marriage when my husband wasn't what I thought I needed. My heart attitude turned negative, and I had to get a grip. I am sure he would say the same thing about me. Not only is that true in our marriage, but as parents, with our children's spouses, and with our extended family and friend relationships. I could list lots of negatives in my own life, my children's lives, my in-laws, out-laws, and everyone in between, but...if love is independent of that, then I have to choose to love anyway and I do.

I choose to love my kids and their spouses regardless of anything that has been said or done on their ends. I choose to love my siblings and parents despite the neglect, abuses, and pain suffered at their hand. (I called both my mom and dad this week) I choose to love the sweet people God has blessed us with, even though they have glaring faults (just like I do). Only God changes people. It is God which is at work in my life to conform me into his image. It is God who is at work all around me. It is God who places us in the family of His choosing, and it is God who knows why. I am trusting. I am choosing to focus on what is good, not on what is not. Love? I don't know that I really know how, but I am learning.

Lord, bless my children today. Guide their hearts and their relationships down the roads that lead completely to you. Give them victory in their marriages, in their on going relationships, at school and at work. Give them favor with every life they touch. Reveal to them how much you love them and are at work in their lives. Remind them today that their very names are written on the palms of your hands. I know you will finish what you have begun in all of our lives and am trusting you to do just that. Thank you that your love for us is so individual and so complete and not a tear is shed that you don't see. Thank you for giving us life and life abundantly. Thank you that not a word of yours returns void and that every situation that ever has been, is currently, or shall be is not hid from you. You know our downsitting and our rising. You have known us before we were formed. You remember that we are but dust but love us anyway. Lord, thank you for placing me into my birth family, the family I married into, and the Spiritual family I was reborn into. Lord thank you for giving me the children you gave me for the time that you did. Thank you for providing life long mates for them. Lord, it is all Yours...it is all Yours!

No comments:

June 2008 Road Trip