I should have been painting myself, but instead ,watched him work and teach Alex. I was quite impressed. He has always been good working with kids on tasks other adults would have cringed at. He is patient, lets them play with power tools, and encourages them to try. I will always look back on my children's growing up years with confidence that my husband did a fantastic job teaching them how to be adults. Our independent sons testify to that fact. Both our boys jump right into whatever task lay before them. They read, research, get the info they need and just do it. Not even our daughter is afraid to pick up a drill, a hammer, or a saw. They can all balance a checkbook, make calls to enquire about banking situations, doctors appointments, insurance, etc. I smile when I think that my husband did accomplish that objective in their lives.
When he was still active duty, he would come home from work after dealing with these 18 yr. olds and say his kids were not going to go out into the world and not know how to take care of themselves. He set his heart on preparing them to be adults. He was and is an awesome father. He is an amazing man. He makes me a better person just because I share my life with him.
After nearly 26 years of marriage....I am still impressed. I am impressed by what he has learned to do over the years, how patient he is when he is working with young people, or listening to adults rant and rave about absolutely nothing. He takes time to listen to me, to hold me when I am hurting, to encourage me when I feel like a failure, to read books about marriage, or research something for someone else so he can help them. Yep, I am impressed. If his sons never completely understand who their father is, I will still know. I will still look at him with wonder, awe, and a heart full of love and respect.


No comments:
Post a Comment