A few weeks back I had to teach in the Ladies Jail Ministry on short notice. I had no idea what I was going to teach, but got up that morning seeking direction. I could have not gone that day, but it was the last day for two weeks and did not want to leave them without any encouragement. God gave me a lesson on how He speaks.
It is hard to distinguish His voice from all the others that whisper, shout, sneak around the corner, or tap on my shoulder in any given day. I find that teaching Scripture truths speaks to me as I prepare it in probably a greater way than it does to those listening. God has really been speaking to me...and I have been really trying to listen.
My daughter is on an amazing ride right now. I have been praying for her for so long, as I have all my children. They start off my prayer list...my children by birth, those who have married into our family, and those who have become such a part of our lives that we count them among us. My heart lifts them up daily, and often hourly. To see God do the work in their lives I am crying out to Him for is an amazing thing. (I often fall into a deceived mentality that God is not listening and isn't working, but in truth, He is working, in His time, and in His way).
We sat, my daughter and I, chatting last night about her heart. God has revealed to her the necessity of giving up her life to Him, and letting Him direct and provide for her. He is proving He is able to do that in amazing ways...Jon has joined in with us, after much prayer for him and her. It is hard not to love Jon. He is faithful, full of laughter, comfortable being himself and letting everyone be themselves around him. We laugh so much when he is here, and I haven't heard Kat laugh this much in years and years and years. As amazing as that story is, the greater work is the work of the heart. Because she sees what God is doing for her and in her, she wants to share that with those she loves. She has a renewed burden for her friends and the direction of their lives. She sees for the first time, the struggles and burdens we have had for her in the direction she wanted to go. She understands the difference in real love for someone and the need for accountability in our lives.
God is speaking to her...He is speaking to me....as I listen, make decisions-even the hard ones-based on obedience to Him, He gives great peace and comfort. I had to make one of those unpopular decisions this week, and I know there will be repercussions from those who want me to do something different, but I am not here to please men...I am here to please God. The whole process made me think of the tshirt "I can only please one person today, and today is not your day." Today is God's Day...today, as He speaks, Lord, help me listen and obey!


No comments:
Post a Comment