Thursday, July 19, 2007
On aging
Everyone ages-obviously-but some of us do it more gracefully than others, as exemplified by a visit to the doctor's office. Sitting in the office of an internist, surrounded by people much older than I, I had the rare opportunity to witness the diversity of the aged. First of all, there was a power problem so the automatic doors weren't working. As I watched, patient after patient approached the doors, pushed the button, then stood back to let the doors open, which they didn't-no power! Some of the patients caught on quickly and manually opened the doors, others tried a few times. The scene was quite comical. To add more confusion, the power was off in half the building so there was no a/c and it was quite dark. In the light of the windows we all waited and wondered. Elderly of all sorts entered and exited. Some exquisetly dressed, others barely presentable. Some seemed quite independent, others were escorted by a family member or a friend. My favorite spry old lady was surely at least in her sixties (but I am guessing older). She arrived in white capris, a coral top and button down shirt, and the best part....the shoes. She had perfectly matched flip-flops, with a big floral center. Her hair was done, nails painted and....she had her cell phone. It rang while we waited, and we were serenated with, "Hello, darling...it's been a long time..." We all laughed, and she proceeded to tell us she loved country music and that her son had "text" her some other songs just yesterday. (I have trouble texting!) Ok...she is aging gracefully!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment